Hurricane Rick continues its slow approach to the Mexican coast in the state of Guerrero with hurricane and tropical storm warnings in place that stretch from Acapulco, Guerrero to Manzanillo, Colima. Latest advisory at 07:00AM CDT was located at 15.8N and 101.7W, 130 miles from Zihuatanejo, Mexico. The National Hurricane Center gives estimated winds of 140 kph (85mph) and a pressure of 980 millibars. The storm was moving generally to the North at 6 kilometers per hour, or 3 miles per hour. Continued strengthening from Rick is expected up until landfall, which will likely be somewhere in the region near Lazaro Cardenas. Rick is a rather small storm at present, with hurricane force winds only extending 15 miles (30km) from the center of the storm. Hurricane Hunters are currently investigating the storm as of the writing of this article. Preparation should have been completed before today.
Hurricane Warning (hurricane conditions are expected somewhere within the warning area)
- Tecpan de Galeana to Punta San Telmo
Tropical Storm Warning ( tropical storm conditions are expected somewhere within the warning area within 36 hours.)
- East of Tecpan de Galeana to Acapulco
- West of Punta San Telmo to Manzanillo
Hazards that rick may bring:
- Tropical storm conditions in warning areas will start to be felt in areas by Sunday afternoon. With hurricane conditions expected by Sunday evening.
- Storm surges that can cause coastal flooding are expected in the coastal areas of the states of Guerrero. Michoacan and Colima. High waves will accompany the storm surge near the landfall area.
- Rick is expected to bring rainfall totals of 100 to 250 millimeters with some isolated areas receiving up to 500 millimeters. As Rick continues to move inland, heavy rains would persist in the states of Michoacan and Guererro that can cause flash floods and mudslides.
Please continue to monitor information from local weather services, as well as staying tuned for future updates from Force Thirteen through our Twitter and Facebook services, as well as our Youtube channel.